Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The silent heroes... my Tok Wan

Hi... last night while I was eating seafood, it reminds me of my Tok Wan's story, about his life as a fisherman, he is now 98 years old... One of the oldest man who can still work his paddy fields back in Kampung Kuala Kangkong, Alor Setar, Kedah DARULAMAN. I still can remember him telling me the story of how miserable life back there during the Japanese Invasion and how he and his friends back in Kuala Kangkong smuggling rice to the people in Tanjung Bunga, Penang Island so that they can continue their life eating something descent instead of tapioca and banana. How they would swim ashore from their boat to the island just to make sure there are no Japanese army guarding the shore and swim back to their boat to send the rice to the people in need of rice. I am proud to be his grandson and always hoping to hear more story from him everytime I visit him, sitting in-front-of his paddy fields and enjoying the great view of paddy growing.... seperti hamparan emas di atas bumi tuhan yang bertuah ini...

No comments: